Translate

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Jack Hammer Finished!

I know it has been awhile since I've posted new images and update what I've been up to.  I can assure everyone that I have been busier than a bee in spring.  At the moment my thesis show is up at the Bruce Gallery here at Edinboro University.  I know I have a lot to post to catch everyone up on the happenings in the studio and upcoming shows I will be in so let me post this image of the jackhammer and continue the other posts as well.
This piece took me awhile due to the fact that I was trying to get it done in time for my thesis exhibition, as well as other work for the show.  I ran into a problem due to me rushing the work and not taking the necessary steps to make sure it was structurally made well, so I had to cut it apart and reinforce a few areas within the form.  I recalled my first fears as an undergraduate when I first encountered problems on a sculpture I had been working on.  Now I know that it's all about mistakes and learning from those lessons that one really makes strides in any material an artist is working with.  With that being said the jackhammer turned out fine.  The jackhammer is hand built using terra cotta (slabs, pinch, and coil), as well as press molded additions.  The bit was originally clay, but I had a warping issue, due to misplacing the lower part of the hammer up against the inside of the kiln, but I adapted and used mixed media to make it work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment