Translate

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Slip-Cast Work Fall 2010


In my last blog I mentioned about the cone six porcelain casting-slip and the new piece I am working on with it.  Well, I did my first cast with it and had some minor problems with some undercuts in the mold, but I managed to save the piece with a little work.  I'll have to fix the undercut problem by shaving it down to an angle that will hopefully create the removal of the piece from the mold easier.  In the photos shown of the form, I am starting to apply "nodes" to the conical shape of the form by hand. I'm going to make a gang press mold that I can pour slip into, to help that part of the process go faster.  I am going to be doing some work on the flat circular side opposite the conical side, but I'll have to post those photos once I reach that stage.  I plan on using this form to create a larger sculpture by exploring repetition and scale as well.  I'll keep updating the work on this piece as it comes along.

No comments:

Post a Comment