Translate

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Slip-Casting and Hand Building in February




The last couple of weeks have been filled with slip-casting and while I am still involved heavily with it, I felt it was time to get back to hand building some new work.  I really enjoy both processes, but with hand building I feel I have a more personal touch with the material.  Pictured first are some slip-cast bottles that I am making to go with a wall piece (the gears, not pictured), and the other photographs show the earthenware "Jackhammer", that I am building with slabs, pinch-pot method, and press-molds.  I know traditionally sculptures are made from the ground up, but in some cases I have found it to be easier to build upside down for certain sculptures due to scale and weight issues.  This is the case with this sculpture, so i thought I would post some pictures to better illustrate this.

No comments:

Post a Comment