Translate

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Wood Kiln Firing at University of Saint Francis

This week I helped fire a wood kiln at University of Saint Francis, in Fort Wayne, Indiana.  I was lucky enough to get to put in a piece and hopefully it will turn out…at least interesting.  While I was there I got to meet Steve Smith and his two assistants.  He used to be the Chair at Defiance College in Ohio, and now is a full-time production potter and sculptor.  His studio is up in Angola, Indiana and it was a blast hanging out with him, and feeding and stoking the kiln Tuesday morning.  I returned Tuesday night for a later three hour shift and left with the kiln firing even on the top and bottom (2136).  I can't wait to visit Steve up in Angola and check out his studio.  Pictured below is the kiln we were firing at University of Saint Francis.  With help from the ceramic students, I'm sure the firing went well.  Ryan Bredlau is currently teaching the ceramic students at Saint Francis as well as being the Art Department Technician…he's a busy guy and it was great to help him out.  I'll be teaching at Saint Francis next semester, so it was nice to meet some of the students as well.

Pictured below is the kiln we were firing.

No comments:

Post a Comment