Translate

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Creating glazes for the Ceramic Studio at University of Saint Francis

This semester I have been teaching at University of Saint Francis and have been creating new glazes for the ceramic department.  I extruded and made some test tiles, with white slip applied to one side of the tile and numbered them accordingly.  I made up 43 cone 10 glazes varying in color.  I also tried to have an even amount of gloss, satin, and matt surfaces for the glaze tests as well.  I also included a couple of textural glazes for those wanting a different look.  I fired two sets of glazes for a total of 86 test tiles.  One set was fired in a oxidation atmosphere (electric kiln), and the other set was fired in a reduction atmosphere (gas kiln).

The students have been really receptive to the amount of options they have now.  I have also made up 21 different Raku glazes, which I have recently fired.  Those glazes really turned out nice and should be a hit with the students as well.  Pictured are the tiles I made and the tests I have done so far…minus the new Raku glazes.  The bottom row of tiles are some of the previous test tiles they had before I started my endeavor.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment