Translate

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Screen Printed Ceramic Tiles

Last semester I took a screen printing class with Franz Spohn who is one of the print making professors here at Edinboro University.  I had never tried screen printing and really wanted to learn how to screen print underglazes onto ceramic work.  As with any new process an artist is learning, mistakes happen and though it may be slow going at first, the time put into the process will eventually pay off.  In times of frustration, I always like to remind myself that I had to learn to walk first, before I could run.  It's exactly the same with art, when learning new techniques and processes.  I really would like to explore more of this approach within my work, but for now I need to just make work for my thesis exhibition and explore more of this surface treatment after graduate school.  Pictured are the tiles that I screen printed with underglazes and made up a cone 04 clear glaze that I sprayed on top of the underglazes.  I used commercial bisqued tiles to save time, rather than making my own tiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment