Translate

Monday, March 7, 2011

Glaze Tests and a Mold

 I pulled the glaze tests out of the kiln yesterday and as usual I have some I think may have potential and others that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.  I decided to test the glazes and slips on forms that I have used in the past and could potentially use in the future.  Jason Stockman laughed at my "test tiles", because he said he had never seen anyone use such large pieces for glaze tests.  I can understand.  I used to make small test tiles that you see in ceramic books and studios, but felt that I was getting mixed results with just a little area of glaze on a test tile.  So, my solution was to create actual forms I may use within my work and test the glazes on them.  This way I have a better understanding of what I am getting with the glaze and how it flows on vertical surfaces over a larger surface.  I am doing more tests from the results I liked and will post those this week when I put them through the kiln.  The last picture is a gang mold I made in hopes to speed up my production with this particular form.

No comments:

Post a Comment