Translate

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Glazing work for the "Exchange"

It's been pretty busy around the studio as usual and with the upcoming show for the "exchange" work, there always seems to be never enough time, but that's grad school.  In my last blog I talked about some glaze tests that I had been working on and committed some of the tests to the work for the "exchange".  I really enjoyed having the freedom to apply glazes to forms I wouldn't make, and thinking about the artists work I did get, and ways to try to push the surface.  I found out a lot about things I haven't had to think about in awhile...like making glazes for functional ware and making sure the glazes weren't poisonous. It seemed like a pretty easy task, but in all reality, it made me realize some problems about temperatures inside of pottery while being fired in the kiln and the importance of how glazes are applied.  If that wasn't bad enough, the value of test tiles with newly developed glazes doesn't always match up to an actual piece that has been glazed and fired.
Well, I took some pictures of the work in progress, and even though I am not happy with all the attempts, I am happy with one of the pieces.  I won't say which one, but I'm sure it won't be too hard to determine.
The first images show the work after the first glaze firing.  I normally like to build up layers with my glazes and have had better results through multiple firings.  I fired cone six first and then work backwards so I don't burn off any lower temperature glazes that may be applied later.  The work shown is that of Jason Stockman, Deric Ence and Garrett Loveless.

No comments:

Post a Comment